Receiving Vinnie's Centurion Garter at Gulf Wars 2018
|Order of Precedence|
(Currently working with heralds to submit a device)
- 1 Centurion Wulfgard Martel, CSS
- 1.1 Additional Registered Heraldry
- 1.2 Offices:
- 1.3 Persona History:
- 1.4 Interests:
- 1.5 Timeline of Activity:
- 1.6 Populace Provided Information:
- 1.7 Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
- 1.8 Affiliations:
- 2 Mundane Information:
Centurion Wulfgard Martel, CSS
Previously Known As:
Nicknames: "Melee's Arbiter"
Additional Registered Heraldry
- Local Offices Held
- Regional Offices
- Regional Armored Combat Commander
- Regional Knight Marshal, 2018 - Present
Martel was born in 1078 in Dunholm, a part of England that was still under the Danelaw to some extent. Martel followed Robert Curthose, son of William the Conqueror in the 2nd wave of the first crusade. In 1099 he was a part of the force that took Jerusalem. After the successful crusade, Martel took service with Alexios I Komnenos, the Byzantine emperor and joined his guard.
I am a prolific armorer specializing in getting folk in armor as inexpensively as possible. I have made armor out of hardened leather, plastic, steel, and aluminum.
I am a chivalric fighter. I enjoy tournaments, but I live for battle and war, standing side by side with comrades.
I enjoy rapier fighting, especially when I can support my kingdom at a war.
I have dabbled in blackmithing, but there is only so much time.
I enjoy singing and bardcraft, and have created original works.
Timeline of Activity:
I started playing with swords in 2000. Starting with a HEMA group called the Tulsa School of Defense (now Tatershall Tulsa). I then joined a boffer group called MELEE.
Tested the waters in SCA a few months in 2011. I finally switched over to all SCA in 2015. Mooneschadowe Triumphe of the Eclipse 2015 is what I consider my anniversary event.
Populace Provided Information:
- Wulfgard is featured in the Greate Book of Fighters blog.
Centurion Martel is known for his ability to provide quality violence on the field, and I personally have been the recipient of his chivalrous assistance with toting and schlepping and fetching - but I had no idea he had such a delightful sense of humor and lovely voice, until I got to hear him sing.... If you have not had the opportunity to hear him perform - find him at a bardic circle and prepare to be enchanted. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention his service to the people of the SCA, outside events. I have known Martel to get in a car before the sun has risen, to go help an Ansteorran in need - whether it was chainsawing trees fallen in a storm, unpacking a moving van for someone brand new to the area, or to stand by the side of a friend who was passing from this life to the next. Martel is a worthy gentle who has my respect.
Centurion Martel is my Wolfstar brother- a Sable Wolf, Bard, Fool, and Friend. He has a magical gift of being able to insert additional hours into each day in order to teach people armoring skills. It is a rare day that his home is absent of visitors toiling away in the shop. He does this so he can hit them later. A lot.
Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
I have been a part of building a super solid medieval battle family. Anything else is secondary.
- Bordermarch Autumn Melees 2016: Became a Star of House Wolfstar
- ...Accidentally became Huntsman of Chemin Noir, 2017
- 24th Dionadair of Northkeep
- Braggart's War 2017: Became squired to Sir Jason
- wInterKingdom 2018: Received a non-armigerous service award, the Merlon, from the Baron & Baroness of Northkeep
- Gulf Wars 2018: Became Centurion #148
- In recognition of team effort to repair the on-site fort, received the Sable Sparrow at Castellan 2018.
- At Namron's Beltane 2018, became the Namron Fool (by accident!)
- Became the Axeman and Bardic Champion of the Canton of Skorragarðr in 2019.
- Frequent staff and participant at demos for the Barony of Northkeep and the Canton of Chemin Noir.
Non-Armigerous Awards and Other Recognitions
- Received a Mog Cog at Gulf Wars 2020, prior to its cancellation.