Osanna van der Linden
Self-Portrait, upon her Elevation to Laurel
|Order of Precedence|
Per chevron throughout azure and argent a chevron throughout counterchanged and in base five linden leaves in annulo stems to center vert.
- 1 Magistra Osanna van der Linden, OL
- 1.1 Additional Registered Heraldry:
- 1.2 Offices:
- 1.3 Persona History:
- 1.4 Interests:
- 1.5 Timeline of Activity:
- 1.6 Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
- 1.7 Affiliations:
- 1.8 Mundane Information:
Magistra Osanna van der Linden, OL
Linden, as she is called, enjoys teaching in scribal, heraldic, and garment related arts, taking photos, and elevating the work of others.
Additional Registered Heraldry:
- Local Offices Held
- Deputy for the Bryn Gwlad Clothier's Guild (2013-2014)
- Principle Bryn Gwlad Clothier's Guild (2014-July 2017)
- Principle Bryn Gwlad's Flame Work's Guild (2014-2016) The guild is currently on hiatus.
- Deputy of Bryn Gwlad Scribal guild (2017-2021)
- Principle of Bryn Gwlad's Scribal Guild (December 2021 - Present)
- Regional Offices Held
- Deputy MOAS for the Southern Region (2016-2017)
- Asterix Herald, Deputy Clerk (November 2016- September 2017)
- Southern Regional Signet (December 2018-December 2021)
- Other Offices Held
- Erstwhile Wiki Editor (2013-present)
Nuremberg, Germany 1450s. A daughter of a merchant class family, Osanna helps manage her family's holdings, and gains entry to the higher realms of society as a limner of portraits in small, and illuminator to various patrons.
- Illumination, gilding, calligraphy.
- Making period art materials; parchment, charcoal, brushes, glue, paints.
- Machine Appliqué, Hand Applique, and Hand embroidery.
- 13-15th German Heraldry
- Historical maps
- German, Swabian, clothing
- Turkish Paper Marbling, Ebru
- Glass work, mostly beads
- Majolica, historical glazing techniques
- Reposse and Chasing
- Roman Culture, Clothing, Warfare, and government
- Online resources
- Articles and handouts
- Classes and demos
- Local guild leadership, and occasional regional offices.
Viking Rapier Championship, for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad. Done on deer velum made by our own Hell's Gaters, and based on a standing stone.
Based on a piece from a fencing manual, where this lady was just soooo done. Calligraphy by HL Simha bint Yusef.
2018 Arts and sciences championship scroll for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad. Based on illumination by Robinet Testard.
Count scroll for Creppin. Done in the style of mosaic, in a wall.
Countess scroll for Toryn in the style of a Mosaic in a wall.
Royal Huntsman scroll, for Gabriel and Sonja. I did both illumination and the and the calligraphy here on this one, taken from the Lutteral Psalter. I learned a lot about the hand I used, and I practiced, but it was not enough. I'm not happy with the way it came out, but I have a foothold to build on. And I'm excited to learn more.
Kingdom cut an thrust champ scroll. Based on fencing folios. Won by Avery Shaw.
Rapier champion scroll for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad.
2015 Bordermarch Autumn Melees Middle Eastern Dance Scroll
2015 Chivalric Champion scroll for Bryn Gwlad
Illumination for invitations to Bryn Gwlad's Oct 2015 Baronial event.
Archery Champion of Hellsgate, 2015
Fighting surcoat for John of Severn.
Made this shoulder bag for Safiyya bint Khalid ibn Hamdun for our gift swap. I thought her arms were interesting and wanted to adapt them to something.
Viking hood made on commission for Simha bint Yusef as a gift for Hrafn Olafsson, It's made of melton wool, with red linen lining. The Lining is attached to a strip of on grain linen, at the edges so that it can be removed and replaced as needed. The appliqué was done by hand on wool that I dyed grey. All the exposed stitching is done by hand. This was my second hand embroidery project ever.
A Pelli-Laurel cloak made for Master Alden Drake on the occasion of his elevation. It is a three quarters circle, made of wool lined with silk and uses modern appliqué techniques for the leaves and feathers, the stem is couched cord.
Timeline of Activity:
My First Event
I had been involved in other groups for a while, but I wanted more people to learn from. So I tried to get up the gumption to go to SCA. After several failed attempts, I didn't have good enough garb, didn't know anyone, ect. I decided to trick myself. I knew that if I had a responsibility, I would show up. So, I signed up for a prize scroll at a rapier event happening near me. It worked, I made the Queen's Champion scroll, went to the event and loved it. Met some lovely people, including Penelope de Bourbon and her Husband Kevin the Broken, and never left.
2013 - 2015
- Attended for the first time at Elizabetta's Queen's Champion April 2012. And provided the champion scroll for the event.
- Contributed Award scroll, The Queen's Hope, October 2013. Calligraphy was by Elen
- Contributed Award scroll for the People's Choice winner of the A&S Tourney at Queen's Champion May 2013
- Contributed the Award scroll for Middle Eastern Dance Championship at BAM November 2013
- Contributed the design for the illumination and handprinted ten blanks for the invitations for Bryn Gwlad's Baronial Coronation January 2014
- Contributed Award Scroll for Bardic Champion of Bryn Gwlad Feb 2014, Calligraphy by Mistress Elen
- Completed first Peerage scroll, Pelican for Mistress Eleanora Elizabeth Caley, presented a Gulf Wars, March 2014. Calligraphy by Mistress Elen
- Contributed the Award scroll for Rapier Champion of Hell's Gate, at Commander's Crucible March 2014
- Contributed the Award scroll for Archery champion of HellsGate, at Commander's Crucible March 2015.
- Contributed Award Scroll for the first Royal Lancer, April 2015 Calligraphy by Safia
- Provided Illumination for the Treaty of the White Scarf between Ansteorra and Avacal when Avacal became a Kingdom, the Calligraphy was by Mistress Honor July 2015.
- Taught classes on painting and scrollwork in the SCA at an inter-gaming collegium.
- Contributed the Middle Eastern Dance Champion Scroll for BAM 2015.
- Contributed the Illumination for Invitations to Bryn Gwlad's October 2015 Baronial Event.
- Contributed Award Scroll for Chivalric Champion of Bryn Gwlad. November 2015.
2016 - 2017
- Taught original scrolls class, and Gave keynote speech with Sarah Budai on gathering and using statistics, at Living Games Conference on LARP and Gaming Societies in Austin Texas.
- Participated in the backlog scroll project, producing a Pelican Scroll for Mistress Kat MacLochlainn September 2016, with Calligraphy by Mistress Elen.
- Produced an appliquéd Herald's Tabard for Mistress Elen's Lauralling 2016
- Produced a Pella-Laural Cloak for Master Alden Drake for his Laureling. 2016
- Contributed Award scroll for Bryn Gwlad's Rapier Champion. October 2016
- Contributed Award scroll for Kingdom Cut and Thrust Champion. December 2016
- Taught painting class at Bryn Gwald's Candlemas 2016
- Taught Beginners class on Original scrolls and Appliqué class at Bryn Gwald's fall event. 2016
- Contributed Award scroll for Bryn Gwlad's A&S Champion. February 2017
- Taught Two classes on Appliqué and one on Original scrolls at Gulf Wars. March 2017
- Contributed Royal Huntsman Award Scroll for Gabriel and Sonja. April 2017
- Acted as Gate Coordinator for Bryn Gwlad's Investiture event. September 2017
- Completed Matched County scrolls for Creppin and Toryn. September 2017
- Produced an Appliquéd Herald's tabard for Master Beau's Laureling
- Completed Matched Court Baronial scrolls for Aiden and Sabiha of Eldern Hills. October 2017
2018 - 2020
- Contributed the prize scroll for Bryn Gwlad's A&S Champion. February 2018
- Produced a hand appliquéd Centurion cloak, and raven hood for Sir Hrafan
- Taught a scribal track at an interlarping Arts and Sciences symposium, Beginners Calligraphy, Painting, scroll design, and advanced classes. February 2018
- Taught four classes at King's College in Oklahoma; Arm scythes in Viking Clothing, Shading in Gouache, Machine appliqué, and Original scroll design. June 2018
- Contributed a Rapier Champion scroll for Bryn Gwlad’s Fall event. October 2018
- Taught comparison of Arm scythes in Viking Clothing at Known World Costuming June 2019
- Taught two classes at Bryn Gwlad 40th, Viking hoods, and Shading in Gouache. September 2019
- Contributed a Rapier Champion scroll for Bryn Gwlad's Fall event. September 2019
- Completed a full Achievement Scroll for Mistress Birony based on a stave church door on parchment, She purchased the project through a travel fund Auction. Calligraphy by Safiyya bint Khalid ibn Hamdun
- Contributed a scroll for Bryn Gwlad's Inaugural Brewing Championship. January 2020
- Contributed a scroll for the Kingdom Arts and Sciences Championship. February 2020
- Taught two classes virtually for Kings college, Ebru and Machine Appliqué. June 2020
- Taught how to display for A&S with Baroness Elspeth de Stervlen July 2020
- Taught a class on Shading illumination the late Burgundian style at Bywn Gwlad virtual Candalmas. 2021
- Taught a class on making original scrolls in the SCA style at a larp A&S Event.
- Taught a Class on Ebru for King's College 2021?
Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
- Award of Arms February 2014
- Received an Iris of Merit in Sept of 2016.
- Joined the order of the Laurel in 2020.
- Holder of a Sable Thistle
- Holder of the Golden Martlet.
- Holder of a Muse of Bryn Gwlad
Non-Armigerous Awards and Recognitions:
- Former student of Amata Amati d'Arezzo
- Apprentice to Aislynn Crystyn (2015-2020)
- Member of Amata's Atelier
- Member of the Household Compagnia della Sprezzatura
Linden's Mundane name is Kristin Hammock. She is available on various social media under her mundane name. She is a happily married mother of five, who spends most of her time caring for her family, hanging about on the internet, making silly and sometimes serious art, and advocating for the rights of Autistics and LGBTQI rights.
In Case of Court:
Portfolios of work
- Appliqué three ways
- Beginner's guide to original scrolls
- Shading the world: Burgundy 1410-1500
- Arm scythe in Viking Clothing
- Viking Hoods
- Roman Tunica Knots
- Ebru for Beginners
- How to shade in the style of Dutch influenced burgundy