Order of Defense
(Tinctureless) Three rapiers in pall inverted tips crossed
How do you become one?
It is the highest award given in the SCA for excellence in the fighting fields of either rapier and/or cut-and-thrust combat.
In order to become a Master of Defense, the candidate must;
Excerpt from the Corpora
Members of the Order of Defense may choose to swear fealty, but are not required to do so. The candidate must be considered the equal of their prospective peers with the basic weapons of rapier and/or cut-and-thrust combat. The candidate must have applied this skill and/or knowledge for the instruction of members and service to the kingdom to an extent above and beyond that normally expected of members of the Society.
What are the duties of a Master of Defense?
From the Corpora
The duties of the members of the order are as follows:
- To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct on and off the field of honor.
- To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the laws of the kingdom and Corpora.
- If in fealty, to support and uphold the Crown of his or her kingdom.
- To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
- To enhance the renown and defend the honor of the peer's Lady or Lord.
- To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Order of Defense.
Do they have reserved regalia?
Yes. Their insignia is a white livery collar, frequently with a medallion bearing the badge: (Tinctureless) Three rapiers in pall inverted tips crossed.
What is the proper form of address for a Master of Defense?
Members of the Order of Defense are referred to as Master or Mistress. When written the name of the MOD might be followed by MD.