Johanna in a musketeer's kit
|Order of Precedence|
Or, an eagle displayed sable and in base two arrows inverted in saltire gules, an orle sable
- 1 Lady Johanna Buchanan
- 1.1 Additional Registered Heraldry:
- 1.2 Offices:
- 1.3 Persona History:
- 1.4 Interests:
- 1.5 Timeline of Activity:
- 1.6 Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
- 1.7 Affiliations:
- 1.8 Mundane Information:
Lady Johanna Buchanan
Previously Known As:
Mundane Name: Jonaya Gustafson
Additional Registered Heraldry:
- Local Offices Held
- Kingdom Offices Held
- Kingdom Webminister (7/20/19 to present)
Born in Stirlingshire, Scotland as "Johanna Buchanan," she was born into a family who never really saw the virtue in treating its daughters all that differently from its sons. She was raised with hunting, light military training, and minimal expectations as the eldest daughter of a landed family. When her father was killed by the English at the Battle of Flodden in 1513, she decided to adopt a man's style of dress, rename herself "John," and train full-time as a soldier. Johanna began traveling and eventually made her way down towards France, looking for employers in the ever-boiling conflicts of the time. She fell in with the French during the Four Years War, working as a mercenary. Having had extensive contact with the Italians during the Four Years War, Johanna continued her travels south to Italy, eventually finding work with the Florentines as a mercenary, bodyguard, and instructor for their military forces.
Johanna was caught up in the War of the League of Cognac, fighting primarily under the employ of the Florentines. Her performance in the Battle of Landriano (and reputation that she'd been building up in the region) was sufficiently competent to secure a position as a bodyguard for a Florentine merchant, which put her in the city when the Siege of Florence began in 1529. She assisted in the defense of the city and participated in the Battle of Gavinana that ended the siege. Rumor has it that she fired one of the shots that brought down the Duke of Orange, although it is impossible to verify this.
After escaping Florence, Johanna made her way north to the Swiss Confederacy. In late 1530, she was hired by the Canton of Uri in central Switzerland to help train their musketeers. She also served as a bodyguard for one of the commanders of the Canton’s military forces up through the Battle of Kappel. After the battle, Johanna decided to travel back to Scotland to help train local troops for the nobles.
Settled into her new life back in Scotland, Johanna continues to refine her marksmanship through regular training in the musket, as well as with the crossbow and longbow (which they uses for hunting and training purposes). She has taken to designing and building sporting crossbows to provide to the populace, feeling that it is important to continue to refine the marksmanship skills of their people in these uncertain times. While she no longer has to constantly hide who she is to avoid discovery, she often continues to dress in the manner to which she has become accustomed.
Lady Johanna Buchanan (Jonaya Gustafson) is a resident of the Barony of Bryn Gwlad in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. She previously resided in the Barony Beyond the Mountain in the East Kingdom. Jonaya portrays a 1530's Scottish mercenary.
She is heavily involved in archery (both target and combat), including researching, designing, and building crossbows from various periods and locations. Jonaya is also involved in black powder shooting and is one of the founding members of the Ansteorra Gunners Guild.
Jonaya is involved in both the target and combat archery communities. In addition to participating in various shoots and competitions, she works to further the archery community through education and service. She is a warranted target and combat archery marshal and archery marshal for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad. She is also involved in providing equipment and training for those interested in learning more about shooting period crossbows.
Jonaya has taught classes on crossbow history/shooting as well as on period black powder weapons.
Timeline of Activity:
- East Kingdom, Barony Beyond the Mountain
- Ansteorra Championships
- Sable Shield Archer (sponsored by Edward du Bois, 11/23/19 to present)
- Royal Huntsman - Sven III & Cristyana I and Jason and Margherite (10/12/19 to 6/5/2021)
- Stargate Archery Champion (4/20/19 to present)
- Bryn Gwlad Archery Champion (10/28/18 to 9/7/19)
- Shire of Seawinds Archery Defender (10/27/18 to 10/26/19)
- Canton of Dragonsfire Tor Archery Champion (5/19/18 to present)
- Stronghold of Hellsgate Archery Commander (3/31/18 to 3/30/19)
- East Kingdom Championships
- Barony Beyond the Mountain Archery Champion (6/17/17 to January 2018)
Notable Contributions or Accomplishments:
- Member, Order of Apollo's Arrow (East Kingdom)
Non-Armigerous Awards and Recognitions:
Combat crossbow built for Queen Cristyana Lambrecht, gifted during Valkyrfelt II in A.S. 54 (2019).
- Arcarius to Padraic of Kilkenny
- War Companies
- Captain of the Company of St. Sebastian (combat archery)
- Founding member of the Ansteorra Gunners Guild
Jonaya uses she/her pronouns mundanely. "Lady" or "Laird" are accepted as a title.
In Case of Court:
- Is at a large number of events, especially Southern/Central events.
- Prefers not to be escorted into court.
- Please use feminine language in reference (e.g. "this woman", etc.).
- Use "Lady" or equivalent titles ("Laird" is acceptable as well).
- If awarding a grant-level award or above, please use feminine title ("Honorable Lady", "Mistress") and persona's birth name ("Johanna").